Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Power voltage in Italy

Power voltage in Italy?
I read that the voltage in Italy is 220-230. Now I have these two travel appliances, a mini iron and a hair dryer, that claim that they're dual voltage because the iron can be switched to 240 and the hair dryer to 250. Since its a higher voltage, can I still use it in Italy? I would use my power converter, but don't power converters usually transform US applicances from lower voltage to higher voltage? I'm trying really hard not to use a converter though because I don't want to bring it, plus my laptop charger and everything else doesn't require a voltage change. Can someone please help me out? Also, I have a hair straightener that isn't dual voltage, but all it says on it is 300V. What does that mean and do I need a converter for using it in Italy? Thanks!
Milan - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If you have appliances that can be switched to 240 or 250 volts, they'll work fine on Italy's 220 volts. You'll need to check the plug on the end of the wire though! Italian sockets are 3 round holes in a line. If you look closely at your hair straightener, you'll probably find it says 300W (watts). That's the power it consumes. It should also tell you the voltage it runs at. If it doesn't and it works at the low US voltage then you'll need to bring that converter with you, I'm afraid. Or else buy one in Italy - they're not that expensive I believe



 Read more discussions :